Frequently Asked Questions About Terrazzo
Visit www.ntma.com for more information. The National Terrazzo Association sets the standards and practices for restoring and maintaining terrazzo.
Q: Does your Terrazzo Restoration Process use caustic chemicals?
A: No. Environmentally friendly terrazzo contractors DON’T use crystallization or wax top coat finishes. Our Terrazzo Restoration is an environmentally friendly process that naturally restores your floor to a high gloss using an advanced Diamond Terrazzo Polishing process. The Stone Medic’s environmentally friendly terrazzo process leaves no dust or mess. A Naturally polished Terrazzo floor requires very little maintenance and leaves no chemical or caustic coatings on top of your floor.
Q: If I don’t put a topcoat finish on my terrazzo what will protect it from getting damaged?
A: Terrazzo floors are very durable. With regular housekeeping these floors will last a lifetime. There is a common misconception that these floors need a protective coating. The truth is that they don’t. It has been our experience that a coated surface attracts and holds more dirt than a surface restored using our Natural Diamond Polishing process. These top coat finishes are soft and show wear in a short time, requiring costly upkeep. Our process saves you money while protecting your health and your environment.
Q: Should my terrazzo be sealed?
A: Yes. Once your floor is restored and polished, it is smart to apply a penetrating sealer. A penetrating sealer works by filling in the pores of the terrazzo which naturally repels spilled substances. If your terrazzo floor is sealed, the substance won’t stain the terrazzo. The Stone Medic highly recommends sealing your terrazzo floor.
Q: How long will my floor shine after you are done?
A: Your new polished floor will shine a lot longer than a surface coated with a topical finish due to the fact that there is no soft coating to show dirt, scuff marks, mars and wear. Exactly how long the shine lasts will depend on several factors that include; amount of traffic, the level of shine you desire, and how well you maintain your floors after we leave.
Q: Can you guarantee to remove all stains out of my Terrazzo?
A: Unfortunately no, we cannot guarantee all the stains will come out and if anyone tells you they can, they are not being honest with you! Terrazzo floors are 1/3 Portland cement which is porous. No one can know how far a stain has penetrated into the cement. In most cases we can reduce the stain or even eliminate it.
Q: I have a crack that runs across one side of the floor. Can it be filled in?
A: Yes. When your slab for the house was installed, the terrazzo was installed over it. When the house settled, the foundation cracked. This can be filled with a matching resin color, grinding it down smooth and restored to a like new appearance.
Q: My terrazzo floor has a lot of holes. Can they be repaired?
A: Yes. It is not easy, but our craftsmen can seamlessly fill terrazzo holes. Filling Terrazzo with matching resin and marble chips takes a skilled craftsman with years of experience working with color resins and marble chips.
- DO clean up spills immediately to minimize damage to your stone.
- DO clean surfaces regularly with a Neutral Cleaner. Always rinse your floors well to prevent a build-up of cleaner residue that could become slippery.
- DO allow your neutral cleaner, once applied to the Terrazzo surface, time to react as designed to loosen foreign matter. Several minutes should be adequate.
- DO use a Professional Quality Impregnator sealer to protect the Terrazzo from staining.
- DO use door mats inside and out along with runners and area rugs on terrazzo floors.
- DO dust mop the floor often to only pick up the dust, but also the grit tracked into the building. The grit acts as an abrasive on a hard surface floor.
- DO use maintenance products designed for terrazzo.
- DON’T wait to clean up spills on stone.
- DON’T use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub cleaners.
- DON’T use vinegar, bleach, ammonia or other general-purpose cleaners.
- DON’T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- DON’T use alkaline cleaners not specifically formulated for Terrazzo.
- DON’T use scouring powders and abrasives because they will scratch the surface.
- DON’T use purely surface waxes, or all purpose sealers. Employment of such can result in slippery surfaces.
- DON’T use all purpose cleaners containing water soluble inorganic or crystallizing salts, harmful alkali or acids. Use of such products could prove harmful to the terrazzo floor.
- DON’T use cheap cleaners or sealers since the majority of maintenance costs are labor.
- DON’T try miracle cleaners or sealers on the floor without getting an opinion on such products from your Terrazzo Contractor or this Association.
- DON’T use vacuum cleaners that are worn. The metal or plastic attachments or the wheels may scratch the surface.
More information on terrazzo restoration and care is available at the NTMA (National Terrazzo and Mosaic Association) site.
Why Wait? Contact The Stone Medic Today
Get your Terrazzo Surfaces restored to a new polished look today. The Stone Medic offers Terrazzo Restoration services and Terrazzo Polishing and Repair services in the Tampa Bay area including, Sarasota, St Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo, and Tampa. If you have a Terrazzo Floor, why cover it with tile and carpet? Give us a call today and let us show you how our Terrazzo Restoration and Terrazzo Polishing process will restore the beauty of your Terrazzo Floor or click here to request your free estimate.